- Photo Tours
- Live Voyage Reports
- Expedition & Niche Cruises
- Hurtigruten FRAM – Antarctica
- Hurtigruten Midnatsol – North Cape
- Passing Cloud – Sailing Haida Gwaii
- Safari Endeavour – Alaska’s Glacier Country
- Safari Voyager – Mexico’s Sea of Cortes
- Schooner Zodiac – Brew Cruise 2013
- Schooner Zodiac – Wine Cruise
- Silver Discoverer – Australia to Indonesia
- Silver Explorer – British Isles
- Silver Galapagos – Galapagos Islands
- Wind Spirit – Stockholm to Oslo
- Wind Star – Rome to Nice
- Luxury Cruises
- Mainstream Cruises
- Carnival Breeze – Exotic Eastern Caribbean
- Carnival Freedom – Western Caribbean
- Coral Princess – Ultimate Alaska with Cruise Experts Travel
- Cuba Cruise Louis Cristal – Cuba
- MSC Divina – Eastern Caribbean
- Norwegian Breakaway – Christening
- Norwegian Epic – Eastern Caribbean
- Norwegian Pearl – Alaska RT Seattle
- Quantum of the Seas – Preview Cruise
- Zuiderdam – Alaska Inside Passage
- River Cruises
- AmaLotus – Cambodia & Vietnam
- AmaLyra- Danube Christmas Markets
- Emerald Waterways Emerald Star – Danube Delights
- S.S. Maria Theresa – Christening
- Tauck ms Inspire – Maiden Voyage
- Tauck Swiss Jewel – Blue Danube
- Viking Baldur – Danube Christmas
- Viking Baldur – Rhine Christmas
- Viking Forseti – Chateaux, Rivers & Wine
- Viking Freya – Danube Christmas
- Viking Longships Christening 2012
- Viking Longships Christening 2013
- Viking Longships Christening 2014
- Viking Longships Christening 2015
- Expedition & Niche Cruises
- Athenaeum InterContinental Athens
- Cape Grace Hotel Cape Town
- Casa Moderna Miami
- CitizenM NYC Times Square
- Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
- Eventi New York
- Fairmont Vancouver Airport
- Ritz-Carlton Fort Lauderdale
- Rosewood Hotel Georgia Vancouver
- Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
- Trump Hotel Toronto
- Turnberry Isle Miami
- Airport Guides
- About FTDC
- The Avid Cruiser
Athenaeum InterContinental Athens
89-93 Syngrou Avenue, Athens, Greece | Tel: +30 210 9206000
A great hotel in the amazing city of Athens, Greece, the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens is centrally situated along Syngrou Avenue, within easy walking distance of the Metro, the Plaka, and even the famous Acropolis. It is roughly 45 minutes (depending on traffic) from Athens International Airport, and transportation to the port of Piraeus takes as little as 20 minutes.
After a long flight from Canada, the Athenaeum InterContinental won us over with its modern design, friendly staff and our incredibly comfortable Deluxe Room which overlooked the famous Acropolis.
Although it was built in 1982, you’d never know it: the Athenaeum Intercontinental has undergone several extensive refurbishments over the past decade, emerging as a hotel that boasts modern yet warm décor in public areas and accommodations, and uncommonly large rooms. You won’t find stark, Euro-modernism here: vibrant Mediterranean colors mix with dark, elegant woods and highly polished marble. One of the hotel’s most recognizable features is the Blue Man Group statue in the center of the main lobby; an excellent meeting place.
The Athenaeum has the largest meeting space of any hotel in Greece, and up to 2,000 people can be accommodated in the sprawling, on-site ballroom. But the way the hotel is designed ensures you’ll never feel crowded: a dedicated atrium just off the main lobby provides access to the many banquet and meeting rooms, ensuring conference guests and hotel guests have their equal space.
There are 543 luxurious rooms and 60 suites at the Athenaeum InterContinental, including a mammoth, 315-square metre Presidential Suite for the business traveler who wants to make an impression. But even regular guest rooms are uncommonly large for Europe. Our Deluxe Room, for example, was more spacious than the last two hotels we’ve stayed at in North America.
Your room keycard acts as your pass throughout the hotel, and is used to activate the elevators and even lights in some guest rooms. To use the elevators, slide your card up into the digital box on the right-hand side of the elevator until the red light blinks green, then select your floor.
Superior Rooms offer all the comfort and amenities you would expect from an InterContinental property, but if you can, spring for the Deluxe Room: it features a more spacious sitting area, dark woods and modern furniture, stunning original Greek art, and a generous bathroom with shower, tub, toilet, dual sinks and a bidet.
Club InterContinental rooms are situated on Floors 8 and 9, and also boast their own distinct styling, with Mediterranean blue accents and cool, soothing colors. There are 61 rooms and 18 suites, all of which have access to a dedicated check-in desk, a complimentary lounge serving up cocktails, canapés and internet access, and complimentary wet Spa access.
- Cafezoe offers up great food all day, including both Continental and Full breakfast buffets with nearly everything you can think of: pastries, meats, cheese, fruits, juices, and some of the best coffee we’ve had in a hotel in a long time.
- Tobar, located adjacent to the lobby, is a great place to enjoy an evening drink after a long-haul flight or simply a day of exploring the great city of Athens.
- The Café Vienna Tea Lounge features, as one might suspect, tea, coffee and pastries.
- I-SPA by Algotherm is a great way to relax and unwind upon arrival in Greece. If you’ve booked a Club InterContinental room, you have complimentary use of the Spa’s sauna, steam bath, foot baths, and specialty-showers.
- The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle bus from the property to the Plaka district and nearby Syntagma Square, adjacent to the Greek Parliament. Schedules can be obtained from the front desk.
- Premiere, the hotel’s rooftop restaurant, is a must-visit not only for the exquisite food, but for the breathtaking views of the city, including the Acropolis and Mount Lycabettus. Trust us: the view is remarkable.
- Ask the Staff: Looking for great Greek food or some of the best sites in Athens? The friendly staff are keen to show off their country’s most famous city.
- iPad App: Start exploring Athens before you even get there with the handy InterContinental Hotels App. Very useful!
- Local Toiletries: the hotel’s bath soaps, shampoos, gels and conditioners are made by local Athens company Korres Natural Products. They’re fantastic.
WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE…
- Plaka: an easy 20-minute walk, well worth it for the beautiful parks and historic ruins that line Syngrou Avenue, like Hadrian’s Arch and the Temple of Olympian Zeus.
- Syntagma Square: an easy 15-minute walk, next to the Greek Parliament buildings and the Changing of the Guard.
- The Acropolis: roughly 30 minutes, mostly uphill. It’s certainly walkable, but taxi to the base of the Acropolis from the hotel will only run you €6, so you may want to cab it there and walk back if so inclined.
- Metro: the new Syngrou-Fix Metro station is just five minutes up Syngrou Avenue from the hotel. To go to the famous Plaka district, hop off at Syntagma Station.
AIRPORTS AND CRUISE PORTS
- From Elefthérios Venizélos International Airport: Approximately 40 minutes.
- To the port of Piraeus: 20-40 minutes, depending on traffic.
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009